Â Consider the â€œFour Topics Approachâ€ (or Four Box method) to ethical decision making on page 61, Table 2.1 in Butts (below).Â Apply this model to a challenging situation in your nursing career that required you to consider the ethical dimensions of the patient case and the role you played in providing care. Specifically apply and address the questions within each topic areaÂ as they pertain to your situation.
In your conclusion, discuss the impact of the Four Topics process. Did applying these principles shape your decision making in any way?Â Does this seem like a valid process for you to apply in your practice?Â
Your paper should be 1-2 pages. Adhere to APA formatting throughout, and cite any outside sources you may use.
Review the rubric for further information on how your assignment will be graded.
TABLE 2-1 Four Topics Method for Analysis of Clinical Ethics Cases
Medical Indications: The Principles of Beneficence andÂ Nonmaleficence
1. What is the patientâ€™s medical problem? Is the problem acute? Chronic? Critical? Reversible? Emergent? Terminal?
2.Â What are the goals of treatment?
3.Â In what circumstances are medical treatments not indicated?
4.Â What are the probabilities of success of various treatment options?
5.Â In sum, how can this patient be benefited by medical and nursing care, and how can harm be avoided?
Patient Preferences:Â The Principle of Respect for Autonomy
1. Has the patient been informed of benefits and risks, understood this information, and given consent?
2.Â Is the patient mentally capable and legally competent, and is there evidence of incapacity?
3.Â If mentally capable, what preferences about treatment is the patient stating?
4.Â If incapacitated, has the patient expressed prior preferences?
5.Â Who is the appropriate surrogate to make decisions for the incapacitated patient?
6.Â Is the patient unwilling or unable to cooperate with medical treatment? If so, why?
Quality of Life: The Principles of Beneficence andÂ NonmaleficenceÂ and Respect for Autonomy
1.Â What are the prospects, with or without treatment, for a return to normal life, and what physical, mental, and social deficits might the patient experience even if treatment succeeds?
2.Â On what grounds can anyone judge that some quality of life would be undesirable for a patient who cannot make or express such a judgment?
3.Â Are there biases that might prejudice the providerâ€™s evaluation of the patientâ€™s quality of life?
4.Â What ethical issues arise concerning improving or enhancing a patientâ€™s quality of life?
5.Â Do quality-of-life assessments raise any questions regarding changes in treatment plans, such as forgo
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.