To be a successful global leader, certain characteristics are associated with the individual. However, according to Lustig & Koester (2003), there are no group of characteristics that will ensure a leader will be successful in every intercultural situation or relationship. Each situation or approach can require a different set of skills or characteristics. Some characteristics that are usually aligned with global leadership are, having the curiosity, openness, flexibility, and not being judgmental of other cultures, languages, and way of living. These characteristics are associated with the managerial competence of global leaders (Mendenhall et al, 2018). Being open to and accepting of different cultures is very important to effectively lead individuals across different cultures around the world.
Some common characteristics were found amongst three global leaders that have achieved much success. These three leaders are Richard Branson, David Simon, and Percy Barnevik, and they have shown to effectively communicate a vision, made themselves available to their followers and showed them empathy, while also empowering followers and sharing information with them. These global leaders developed a culture within the organization that was based on communication, shared values, commitment, good corporate citizenship, and innovation (Mendenhall et al, 2018).
Characteristics that are associated with global leaders are, humility, integrity, emotional awareness, resilience, psychological maturity, morality, and have the curiosity to learn (Mendenhall et al, 2018). From these characteristics, I would consider integrity and humility as most relevant for leading at a global level. Integrity is crucial for global leaders to earn the respect and trust of the people within the company and the people they serve. Leading with integrity helps leaders influence and change minds of followers of diverse backgrounds (Mendenhall et al, 2018). Humility is also important because it allows leaders to be open to experience and learn from different cultures. Humility allows leaders to learn from others and become the student of someone who may have more knowledge and experience in a particular area. A leader must be humble enough to recognize their own limitations and expertise in a certain area, and surround themselves with individuals who will address those weaknesses. Global leaders do not have all the answers and are not all knowing. Global leaders must be willing to learn from everyone.
Mendenhall, M. E., Osland, J. S., Bird, A., Oddou, G. R., Maznevzki, M. L., Stevens, M. J., & Stahl, G. K. (Eds.). (2018). Global leadership: Research, practice, and development (3rd ed.). New York, NY: Routledge.
CLASS MATE 2
The two key traits I believe are most relevant for leading at the global level are cultural leadership and experimental learnin
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.