DescriptionAFRS 204: BLACK CREATIVE ARTS
African and African American Women Textile Makers Critical Reflections Article Assignment
Read: “Memory and Spirit: African American Quilting”, pp.13-22
1. Which African cloth patterns are particularly linked to American African textiles? Provide both the
name and the region of Africa that these textiles originate from.
2. How did quilting offered African American women an economic opportunity? Use a specific
example from the article.
3. What did Williams say about quilting and the “secret code”? What did Fry say about who usually
received credit for quilting?
4. How did quilting change after the Civil War? In what ways did it change?
5. Which factors contributed to the large number of African American quilts created from about 1915
to about 1960?
6. Why was the collecting and displaying of quilts important, especially for African American women?
7. List at least five of the nationally recognized African American quilting artists discussed in this
Read: “Quilting Links U.S. and Africa: A Tradition Come Full Circle”
8. How were some of the gender distinctions and gendered transitions among African and African
American textile workers?
9. How has globalization influenced African quilt making? How have African and African American
peoples influenced each other? What has been the role of African American women?
10. What two techniques are used primarily in African American quilts? What are two popular
patterns? What makes African American quilts unique?
11. What are some of the differences between how African and African American quilts are made?
Discuss and describe the differences that make them each unique.
Read: “African American Women Quilters as Herstorians and Keepers of Our Dreams”?
12. Many have argued that African American women’s quilting follows a European tradition and style,
how does the writer offer evidence that the reality was more complex? (Discuss at least 3
13. Why were symbols important to both African and African American quilt makers?
14. What is the controversy surrounding symbolism and the Underground Railroad in quilts created
by African American women?
15. How did quilting provide both homosocial bonds and preserve family history/herstory?
Read: “The Enduring Significance of Harriet Powers Quilts”*:
16. Why is Harriet Powers important to the African American tradition of quilting, and in general?
Quilt Herstory Research:
Through your own research, find a quilt made by an African American woman/group of women. Include the
name of the quilter, and the title/name of the quilt (if title is provided)
• Copy and paste the image of your chosen quilt directly onto your document to include.
17. Why did you choose this quilt, and what story do you think the quilt is telling? How do the symbols,
patterns, and imagery contribute to your understanding of the quilt’s message? (Paragraph)
Purchase answer to see full
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.